Eaton is a village and civil parish in Leicestershire, England. It is situated in the Vale of Belvoir and its current population is about 900 people. The population at the 2011 census (including Eastwell and Goadby Marwood) was 648. Eaton has a church, a village hall, a public house called “The Castle”, a children’s park and a new village shop. The civil parish includes nearby Eastwell, which is to the west of the village.
Nature around Eaton
The land surrounding Eaton has at least ten known springs and is the source of the River Devon. It is full of sandstone and in the past a large quarry was formed outside the village. The quarry has since become a woodland area. The land is also full of iron ore and was a famous source of iron during the 1800s, supplying two local iron works by rail via “The Eaton Branch” from around 1885 to 1958. The railway bridge under which the iron was transported is still in Eaton today.
Buildings in Eaton
The church in Eaton is Saint Denys Church, a Norman church which dates back to the 12th century. The public house in Eaton is “The Castle”, which serves food and is also a registered campsite. It is also probably one of the only pubs in England to have a village shop built on the side of it. Eaton also has a village hall which was built in 1952.
Eaton Parish Council
Eaton Parish Council covers the ironstone villages Eastwell, Goadby Marwood and Eaton. The villages are served by 6 Parish Councillors in total, four serving Eaton, and two serving Eastwell and Goadby Marwood.